Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Clovers and tulips and spring break....oh my

This year I did NOT want to face a couple of boiling pots on the stove filled with corned beef and cabbage. Tim's in Atlanta and the kids don't even like it very much. But I do. So the obvious solution was finding a restaurant nearby with this St. Patrick's Day staple on the menu.

Not so easy. I spent at least 30 minutes on the Internet searching the usual suspects (Ruby Tuesday, TGIFridays) with no luck. Then I googled Irish pubs and got lots of those--but the emphasis was more on a liquid dinner if you know what I mean. Not that I wasn't looking forward to a cold Irish (or American or German, I'm not a purist) beer.

Triumph came in New Hope PA--with Triumph Brewery. I had never heard of it but the menu sounded great and when I called to make sure they were serving corned beef the answer was yes--AND they have a kids menu. We piled in the car and drove across the Delaware, trying to think of Irish songs...but without Tim, the authority on The Irish Rovers, I was lost.

The restaurant was a big hit for all. Nice zen-like interior with just a whiff of tobacco smoke to make us wrinkle our noses but not gag. The server was very nice and the food was quite delicious. Elizabeth and I shared the cheese and stout fondue and then split their corned beef and cabbage plate. A bit of grainy mustard on the side, an amber ale and I was set. Caroline had a nice thin-crust cheese pizza, Georgia had a feta, olive and tomato pizza appetizer and Dana had that classic Irish dish: mac and cheese.

Trying a new restaurant can be pretty stressful with three picky kids in tow. I'm happy to report that this venture got an A+. Heck, even the bathroom was nice!

No comments: