Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My Civic Duty

I have 14 days until the next election and not only did I nearly forget to register, I am unclear--that is, I have no clue--who is running and who's in office. My friend Kathleen back in Sacramento is gritting her teeth if she is reading this. She is always on top of the political scene, from U.S. Senate to City Council, and I've always admired her for that. So what better time to get my gubernatorial and other-natorial act together than now? I can claim the ignorance of a newcomer for only so long.

Spent 1/2 an hour last week getting my printer to work right, then downloaded and printed two copies of the New Jersey Voter Registration Form on Mercer County's Office of the Attorney General site. We'll see if they let us vote. Of course it would be nice to know what we're voting for. But that's up to me.

Did you know there's a way for NJ candidates to run clean campaigns? A pilot program called The New Jersey Fair and Clean Elections Project? offers financial aid to candidates in Districts 14, 24 and 37 if the candidate can get 400 to 800 donations from supporters in the district...in $10 increments. He or she must refuse big donations. Then the campaign is eligible for public funding. I guess the idea is that lots of small donations is cleaner and fairer than one or two big ones. This is Soprano country after all. I'll keep an eye on this but first I need to figure out which district I live in.

More on this later, as I ponder the next question: Boro, Township, Village--Where Do I Live?

No comments: