Friday, October 26, 2007

Boro, Township, Village...Where Do I Live?

When we looked at homes last spring our agent tried to explain the whole concept of boro/village/township. My over-stimulated brain remembers something about "the tax base" and "municipality" and then I remember a lot of "yada yada yada, blah, blah, blah." I should have paid more attention.

Township--a small fiefdom within a county. Citizens are given certain powers, like maintaining their roads and overseeing land use issues.

Boro--an ancient word referring to either an administrative division of a city (such as New York's five boroughs), or a self-governing incorporated town.

Village--a really cute town. Sorry, just being a smart aleck. But really, what's the difference between a village and a boro? Is a village sometimes unincorporated? Is it a question of size?

We live practically on top of the line between Hunterdon and Mercer counties. I get counties and now know that officially we're in Mercer County. And I know that we are ALSO in Hopewell Township. But our street address is in Lambertville, which is not only NOT in Hopewell Township, it's in another county! This leads to interesting problems, such as registering to vote and programming directions on our GPS. When I tried to register to vote at the nearest DMV (which is in Flemington), my application was rejected because it was from the wrong county.

The biggest insult--at the Lambertville Free Library, we were asked to pay $30 for a library card. "But I have a Lambertville address," I objected.

"Yes, but you do not live in the VILLAGE of Lambertville," the lady replied.

You can't catch a municipal break around here.

No comments: